Saturday, July 14, 2007

My Baby Blue

My baby girl was born on a windy, February afternoon. The nurses took her away and wrapped her in a blue blanket from head to toe. All that I could see was a rather stubby nose and a blue bundle cradling near me.
The next few days were like a cycle of an half hour long feed followed by potty followed by spells of sleep followed by wails and frequent nappy changes.
I moved through the house with hair pulled back(which I had not run a comb through, for the third consecutive day) and urine soiled night gowns(which resembled more like pillow covers),smelling a peculiar concotation of dettol, urine and baby powder. My long beauty baths were replaced by short quick showers with no time to rub down.
Amongst all the thousandth unsolicited advices given to me earlier, nobody had prepared me for this.
Then, followed the stage of colic abdominal pains where I could do nothing but hold the squeaking baby all through the night. It was only in the wee hours that we mother and daughter would fall asleep. Frantic calls to the family doctor and a closet of medicines were a common site. And to think that one goes through all this and even manages to come out a winner, a mother.
Now when I look up at my talkative two- year old and wipe out a curl from her forehead- I smile. I smile for she has made my life worth. It is through her impish smile, clear sparkling eyes and her thick curls flirting in the wind, that I feel proud. Evenings are a time of togetherness where my daughter and I go for undestined walks and return with a trodden flower, a rare fern or a shiny peace of glass and try to understand life through these.
True, nobody had told me that motherhood is such.

3 comments:

Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan said...

Dear Bhauja,

Excellent!!!

Your writings have a high literary and human touch.

keep posting...
Also force bhaina to pen down as well, he used to write well in School days.

sarthak das said...

ahha this was g8 dear sis....sorry not only g8 (GREAT) but g100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

sarthak das said...
This comment has been removed by the author.